Author Topic: EDAF80 - Computer Graphics 2019 HT1  (Read 453 times)

Offline mi0027mu-s

Re: EDAF80 - Computer Graphics 2019 HT1
« Reply #15 on: 2019-09-10 22:09:06 »
I thought about that but it doesn't show up in any dropdown menu. it looks like this:

The only way I could find to run assignment 1 was to select it as "Set as startup project".

Oh, I guess you ran CMake manually and opened the generated project in Visual Studio, then? In that case, yes, you need to use the “Set as startup project” option.

So the CMake GUI part isn't necessary? I tried without it but also got an error, but then that error probably has the solution you described. It is not super clear in the pdf that you don't need to do that step since one of the steps has "Visual Studio" as a choice. Anyway, that part is resolved now.

Offline Pierre Moreau

« Reply #16 on: 2019-09-10 22:16:09 »
Yeah, what's weirder is that I've tried 2 different driver versions. Both are the same.

I tried on my NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti (though on Linux), and didn’t get any issues there nor anything the driver was complaining about.

So the CMake GUI part isn't necessary? I tried without it but also got an error, but then that error probably has the solution you described. It is not super clear in the pdf that you don't need to do that step since one of the steps has "Visual Studio" as a choice. Anyway, that part is resolved now.

No it isn’t necessary: you either follow Section 1.1 or 1.2, but not both. Both approaches mention Visual Studio as a) 1.2 is the only way if you are using Visual Studio 2015 or earlier, and b) both approach work perfectly fine with Visual Studio 2019 (and probably 2017 too).
I’ll change the wording in the PDF to make it clearer.

Offline mi0027mu-s

« Reply #17 on: 2019-09-10 22:34:45 »
I uninstalled my NVIDIA drivers completely so only my built in Intel GPU could have been used. The error still exists which is super weird. Something else must be going on. I'm going to try pulling it from the repo again.

Offline mi0027mu-s

« Reply #18 on: 2019-09-10 23:30:33 »
Ok, I solved it. I forced it in NVIDIA control panel to use the NVIDIA graphics card instead of my integrated and it now renders the background. For some reason, VS used my integrated graphics card.

Offline Pierre Moreau

« Reply #19 on: 2019-09-11 08:11:35 »
The assignment notes have been updated to be clearer that only one of the two setups should be followed, and talked about selecting the startup project.

Ok, I solved it. I forced it in NVIDIA control panel to use the NVIDIA graphics card instead of my integrated and it now renders the background. For some reason, VS used my integrated graphics card.

Ah, good find! You can configure it to use the discrete GPU, from the CMake project as well; I can show it to you during the labs or the seminar.

Offline elt13oo1

« Reply #20 on: 2019-09-11 12:36:26 »
Hello

I don't have a lab partner yet, anyone else who still needs one?

best regards,
Faraz

Hi

I'm looking for a partner, want to work together?

Regards
Ola

Offline Pierre Moreau

« Reply #21 on: 2019-09-13 14:52:18 »
The updated notes for assignment 1 are now available online: http://fileadmin.cs.lth.se/cs/Education/EDA221/assignments/Assignment1_SolarSystem_new.pdf.
From the webpage, you can find them under the name “Assignment1 (new)”, with the previous version still available under “Assignment1 (old)”.

If you have already started (or even finished) assignment 1 using the old instructions, you don’t need to worry and can still pass the lab.

The main modification was to make use of the CelestialBody class in assignment 1, to make it easier for you, but the end result and the concepts used during the lab, are the same as in the previous version.

Offline bbh13gst

« Reply #22 on: 2019-09-14 15:41:39 »
In assignment 1: 1.3.b (Create a translation matrix) you're suppose to make a translation matrix, but I can't really figure out of what. Is I understand it you want the parent transformation of the object of which we will be orbiting. So shouldn't it just be the parent_transform that the Render() function takes in?

EDIT:
Also in 1.3.h (Check that the code works appropriately, by calling this function with the  following  values:{(0, 1, 0), glm::radians(90.0f), 2.0f,0.0f}), which function is it referring to, Render(), SetOrbit()?
« Last Edit: 2019-09-14 15:45:59 by bbh13gst »