Author Topic: EDA221 - Introduction to 3D 2016 HT1  (Read 36510 times)

Offline MikeD

EDA221 - Introduction to 3D 2016 HT1
« on: 2016-08-25 14:50:56 »
Welcome to the Computer graphics: Introduction to 3D discussion forum!  :)

Here you may ask questions about the labs or other issues. Teachers/assistants will be present here, but students are highly encouraged to participate.

Course-related announcements might pop up here as well, so make sure to stop by on a regular basis.

Editions from previous years (lots of useful stuff):
2015 forum: http://forum.student.lth.se/index.php/topic,12020.0.html
2014 forum: http://forum.student.lth.se/index.php/topic,11802.0.html
2013 forum: http://forum.student.lth.se/index.php/topic,1105.0.html
2012 forum: http://forum.student.lth.se/index.php/topic,1057.0.html
2011 forum: http://forum.student.lth.se/index.php/topic,999.0.html
2010 forum: http://forum.student.lth.se/index.php/topic,929.0.html

Offline jom

Re: EDA221 - Introduction to 3D 2016 HT1
« Reply #1 on: 2016-08-31 16:10:14 »
Hej!

I am still looking for a partner. Have long programming experience and speak fluent C++, but not yet much svenska.

Offline Pierre Moreau

« Reply #2 on: 2016-09-07 15:01:40 »
Hello!

The code is now live on GitHub.
Please read the included README.rst file for instructions on how to build the project and retrieve the textures/objects.

Offline kladdet

« Reply #3 on: 2016-09-07 20:00:19 »
I don't have a lab partner either, hit me up if you're interested!

Offline konjour

« Reply #4 on: 2016-09-07 20:50:31 »
Hi! I have a problem with understanding how to get started with the assignments. I have downloaded Visual Studio, but I don’t know how to continue from there. How do I generate a Visual Studio 2015 solution file? Grateful for any help that I can get!

Offline elt13jat

« Reply #5 on: 2016-09-07 20:55:46 »
I'm getting the following error message when trying to use CMake GUI to create the Visual Studio solution.
Im using /CG_Labs-master as a directory for source code and CG_Labs-master/build as where to build binaries.
"
The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.0.24213.1
The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.0.24213.1
Check for working CXX compiler: D:/VisualStudio/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe
Check for working CXX compiler: D:/VisualStudio/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe -- works
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
Detecting CXX compile features
Detecting CXX compile features - done
Check for working C compiler: D:/VisualStudio/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe
Check for working C compiler: D:/VisualStudio/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe -- works
Detecting C compiler ABI info
Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
Found OpenGL: opengl32 
As assimp was not found on your computer, we will fetch it from the source.
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:1745 (message):
  error: could not find git for clone of assimp
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:2473 (_ep_add_download_command)
  CMakeLists.txt:42 (EXTERNALPROJECT_ADD)

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
"
Is there anyone else who has encountered this and/or knows how to fix it?

Offline Pierre Moreau

« Reply #6 on: 2016-09-07 21:17:03 »
Hi! I have a problem with understanding how to get started with the assignments. I have downloaded Visual Studio, but I don’t know how to continue from there. How do I generate a Visual Studio 2015 solution file? Grateful for any help that I can get!

The README file found in the code repository explains how to generate project files. In your case, you want to select Visual Studio 14 2015 in the dialog that appears the first time you press the "Configure" button, in CMake-GUI.

Offline Pierre Moreau

« Reply #7 on: 2016-09-07 21:24:03 »
I'm getting the following error message when trying to use CMake GUI to create the Visual Studio solution.
Im using /CG_Labs-master as a directory for source code and CG_Labs-master/build as where to build binaries.
"
The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.0.24213.1
The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.0.24213.1
Check for working CXX compiler: D:/VisualStudio/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe
Check for working CXX compiler: D:/VisualStudio/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe -- works
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
Detecting CXX compile features
Detecting CXX compile features - done
Check for working C compiler: D:/VisualStudio/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe
Check for working C compiler: D:/VisualStudio/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe -- works
Detecting C compiler ABI info
Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
Found OpenGL: opengl32 
As assimp was not found on your computer, we will fetch it from the source.
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:1745 (message):
  error: could not find git for clone of assimp
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:2473 (_ep_add_download_command)
  CMakeLists.txt:42 (EXTERNALPROJECT_ADD)

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
"
Is there anyone else who has encountered this and/or knows how to fix it?
You need Git to be installed as well, to retrieve the dependencies (I forgot to put Git in the list of dependencies in the README…). If you tried on the lab computers, Git isn't installed yet. You can get around that for now by downloading one of the Git tarballs available here, extract to some folder (probably somewhere inside H:\Program), and change the environment variable PATH to include the folder containing the Git binaries.

Offline Pierre Moreau

« Reply #8 on: 2016-09-07 21:35:55 »
@elt12jju which version of CMake are you using? The project worked fine on three different OSes using CMake 3.6 and CMake 3.6.1.

Offline MikeD

« Reply #9 on: 2016-09-08 12:48:59 »
Currently it is possible to get the Solar System Lab 1 to work in the Student Lab Uranus. But it is quite difficult. We are working with DDG support to remove some of the barriers to make it work as we originally planned. So stay tuned.

If you know your way around windows, then what is necessary to get the lab to work is :
1. Make a Program directory in your local student drive H:\Program.
2. Unzip the project into a C:\ directory, for example C:\temp.
3. Run CMake as instructed on the unzipped project.
    a. If CMake gives an error concerning the Visual Studio compiler cl.exe not being able to compile. You need to run Visual Studio first on your machine to set it up. Just make a C++ console application and compile and run it.
4. Open the CMake generated Visual Studio solution file (LU_Computer_Graphics_Labs.sln) with Visual Studio and Build the project and EDA221_Assignment1.
5. Locate the EDA221_Assignment1.exe file and the assimp-vc140-mt.dll and copy them to the H:\Program directory to run them.
    a. Don't forget you also need the res.zip files in the original C:\temp directory where you unzipped the original project.

If you manage to do this, Congratulations! You are a certified windows expert!
« Last Edit: 2016-09-08 13:22:29 by MikeD »

Offline Pierre Moreau

« Reply #10 on: 2016-09-08 13:10:09 »
Currently it is possible to get the Solar System Lab 1 to work in the Student Lab Uranus. But it is quite difficult. We are working with DDG support to remove some of the barriers to make it work as we originally planned. So stay tuned.

If you know your way around windows, then what is necessary to get the lab to work is :
1. Make a Program directory in your local student drive H:\Program.
2. Manually install Git from https://git-scm.com/download/win In particular the portable, thumbdrive edition.
3. Add the path to the Git bin directory to your user account path in the environment variables.
4. Unzip the project into a C:\ directory, for example C:\temp.
5. Run CMake as instructed on the unzipped project.
    a. If CMake gives an error concerning the Visual Studio compiler cl.exe not being able to compile. You need to run Visual Studio first on your machine to set it up. Just make a C++ console application and compile and run it.
6. Open the CMake generated Visual Studio solution file (LU_Computer_Graphics_Labs.sln) with Visual Studio and Build the project and EDA221_Assignment1.
7. Locate the EDA221_Assignment1.exe file and the assimp-vc140-mt.dll and copy them to the H:\Program directory to run them.
    a. Don't forget you also need the res.zip files in the original C:\temp directory where you unzipped the original project.

If you manage to do this, Congratulations! You are a certified windows wizard!

As Git has been installed on the computer labs, you can skip steps 2 and 3.

Some help on how to locate the EDA221_Assignment1.exe file: it should be in `build\src\EDA221_Assignment1\Debug`, where build is the same build folder mentioned in the README. Otherwise, in the build output shown by Visual Studio, among the ~5 last lines of it, there should be something like "EDA221_Assignment1.vcxproj -> some_path_to_the_exe_file".

Offline konjour

« Reply #11 on: 2016-09-08 14:35:46 »
Hi! We followed all of the steps that Mike wrote down, but when we ran the .exe file the window closed as soon as it had opened. We moved assimp-vc140-mt.dll and EDA221_Assignment1.exe from C:\temp\CG_Labs-master\build\src\EDA221_Assignment1\Debug to H:\Program and ran the .exe file. Did we miss something?

Offline MikeD

« Reply #12 on: 2016-09-08 14:45:53 »
Is it that it can't find the res directory? You have to download the zip and put it into the project directory.

Offline konjour

« Reply #13 on: 2016-09-08 14:54:19 »
We have now put the res directory in H:\Program, but it didn't make a difference. Previously we had it in C:\temp. Right now we have 3 files and on directory in H:\Program namely: assimp-vc140-mt.dll, EDA221_Assignment1.exe and log.txt along with the res directory. Is there some kind of link that we have to create between the res directory and the .exe file?

Offline Pierre Moreau

« Reply #14 on: 2016-09-08 14:55:58 »
You have to put it in the same folder that contains the README file, src/ and shaders folders. I modified the CMake to automatically download it and place it at the correct location, I'll push the patch soon.