Author Topic: EDA221 - Introduction to 3D 2014 HT1  (Read 25990 times)

Offline MikeD

Re: EDA221 - Introduction to 3D 2014 HT1
« Reply #15 on: 2014-09-09 09:03:11 »
The Tuesday 15-17 lab will be in Uranus every week now.

Offline MikeD

« Reply #16 on: 2014-09-10 11:41:51 »
Here's a link to the Graphics Pipeline Demo I showed in class :
http://www.realtimerendering.com/udacity/?load=demo/unit7-view-pipeline.js
You read a little about it in Eric Haine's blog on real time rendering :
http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/graphics-pipeline-demo/

Offline sespinas

« Reply #17 on: 2014-09-10 20:41:40 »
Hi,
i've download Visual Studio 2010 on my computer for Windows XP,
i can open it and see the project, but when i try to compile it by clicking on the
green button, the following error message appears, and i can't see the render:

"'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'D:\Sandy\ComputerGraphics\EDA221_RenderChimp_13\win32\bin\RenderChimp.exe', Symbols loaded.
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'D:\Sandy\ComputerGraphics\EDA221_RenderChimp_13\win32\bin\SDL.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\secur32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\winmm.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'D:\Sandy\ComputerGraphics\EDA221_RenderChimp_13\win32\bin\SDL_image.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\opengl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\glu32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ddraw.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\dciman32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimeng.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimeng.dll'
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\RocketDock\RocketDock.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll'
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\apphelp.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msctfime.ime', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kbdus.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kbdus.dll'
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kbdfr.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kbdfr.dll'
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\dsound.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvoglnt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x15cc) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'RenderChimp.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mcd32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'RenderChimp.exe': Unloaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mcd32.dll'
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xc50) has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xabc) has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The program '[4620] RenderChimp.exe: Native' has exit"d with code 1 (0x1).

Does anyone has an idea of the problem?

Thank you for your help!

Offline MikeD

« Reply #18 on: 2014-09-11 11:22:11 »
If you are wondering about why the rings of Saturn are only visible from one direction, it's because backface culling is on by default. The idea is that most objects are closed, so it's no point rendering triangles when you see the from the back, because the front facing triangles will cover them. Think about a sphere. But the triangles we use for the rings of saturn are not a closed object, so they disappear when you look at them from the 'back'.

Have a look at slide 32 from Seminar 2 for the commands :
http://fileadmin.cs.lth.se/cs/Education/EDA221/seminars/sem_2.pdf
 in particular :
my_shader->getRenderState()->disableCulling();

Offline MikeD

« Reply #19 on: 2014-09-11 11:29:30 »
If you are interested in adding a Cube Map to your solar system, we will look at this in Seminar 3. You can look ahead to that for some hints, but it does require a new type of sampler, which we have to add to the shader. So look ahead if you like, but we haven't really covered everything yet ;)

Offline sespinas

« Reply #20 on: 2014-09-12 17:07:37 »
Hi!
I have a question about the first assignment:
In the following instruction: "Modify the existing camera control code from pivot- to fp-style"
what is the fp-style?

Thank you for your reply!

Offline MikeD

« Reply #21 on: 2014-09-15 10:55:12 »
fp-style stands for First Person style. It means that when you move the mouse on the screen, it is like you are moving your head and looking in different directions. So when you move the mouse to the left, the camera rotates to look in the left direction, same for moving the mouse in the right, up and down direction, this also moves the camera in those directions.

Hi!
I have a question about the first assignment:
In the following instruction: "Modify the existing camera control code from pivot- to fp-style"
what is the fp-style?

Thank you for your reply!

Offline bondi

« Reply #22 on: 2014-09-17 13:19:21 »
Hi we have a couple of questions!

1. How do we use the transparency maps from the website http://planetpixelemporium.com/ for saturn and uranus disks in combination with the color maps? Is it possible to do in renderchimp?

2. Is there any way to use the local coordinate system of a planet that is axially tilted? It would really help with the rotation of Pluto, which differs quite a bit from the other planets.

3. Are we supposed to manually calculate a matrix for the cubic interpolation for the travel route of the space ship, or is there any shortcut available in renderchimp?

4. Is there any way to let the planets block the light from the sun, so that i.e. a moon that's behind the planet won't be lit up?

Thanks in advance!

Offline ErikRH

« Reply #23 on: 2014-09-18 13:18:46 »
Hejsan. Om det är någon som arbetar ensam och vill ha en laborationspartner så ställer jag gärna upp.

Hi there. If someone is working alone and thinks he/she needs a laboration mate, I am happy to help.

Also, I would like to know how to think when creating the orbit of the planets. I know how to handle the spin, but I cannot get the orbit thing to work. I tried to follow an "example" from an old exam, but that did not take me anywhere.

/Erik

Offline AlexW

« Reply #24 on: 2014-09-22 16:31:05 »
If anyone wants to work together on the second lab, I'm up for it since I don't have a lab partner.

Om någon vill jobba tillsammans på den andra labben så är jag på eftersom att jag inte har en labbpartner.

I'm actually having some trouble getting through it so if someone who has gone through the assignment already would just like to help, that would be awesome as well.

Offline StenRemmelg

« Reply #25 on: 2014-09-24 11:26:34 »
Hi, we have a question about lab 2.

In the interpolation part when defining the matrices, how do you declare the last matrix in both methods? (the ones that contain the p_i points)

They should be 2x3 and 4x3, right? We only know how to make square matrices.

Edit: Should we use array style matrices like float matrix[rows][cols] and do the multiplications as a loop?

Edit 2: Solved it!
« Last Edit: 2014-09-24 11:57:43 by StenRemmelg »

Offline Fhurrur

« Reply #26 on: 2014-09-24 20:15:04 »
Error in VectorMath.cpp, line 1035, the return type should be vec4 and not vec2 for a 4x4 matrix multiplication.

Current
Code: [Select]
/* Multiplication/Dot product */
template<class T>
inline vec4<T> vec4<T>::operator*(const mat4<T> &v) const
{
return vec2<T>(
v.a * x + v.e * y + v.i * z + v.m * w,
v.b * x + v.f * y + v.j * z + v.n * w,
v.c * x + v.g * y + v.k * z + v.o * w,
v.d * x + v.h * y + v.l * z + v.p * w
);
}

Suggested
Code: [Select]
/* Multiplication/Dot product */
template<class T>
inline vec4<T> vec4<T>::operator*(const mat4<T> &v) const
{
return vec4<T>(
v.a * x + v.e * y + v.i * z + v.m * w,
v.b * x + v.f * y + v.j * z + v.n * w,
v.c * x + v.g * y + v.k * z + v.o * w,
v.d * x + v.h * y + v.l * z + v.p * w
);
}

Offline MikeD

« Reply #27 on: 2014-10-01 16:14:57 »
More about assignment 4:

Last year Per Ganestam put together a Mac version of the lab that is nearly identical to the PC version. It uses a different window handling library, GLFW rather than GLUT. Since the OSX GLFW build uses Cocoa it makes it possible to get an OpenGL 3/4 context with GLSL 1.5 and above.

Only C++, no Objective C.

A link to the project zip can be found on the assignments page.

The working directory information doesn't stay with the xcode project file. So if you try to run it, it can't find the textures or shaders.
A quick way of fixing it is to set your working directory to $SRCROOT.
After opening the project in xcode, to the right of the "run" button click the project name to get a drop down menu. Choose "Edit Scheme" and click the "Working Directory" box. In the text box, type $SRCROOT.

GLFW runs on PC as well and is a neat and modern substitute to GLUT, of course, if someone wants to try it out on a PC, you have to find (or compile) the binaries of your choice. The libglfw3.a is only for OSX.
http://www.glfw.org/

Offline Currentberg

« Reply #28 on: 2014-10-03 23:59:43 »
I am having an issue with the assignment 4. When I have downloaded the handout (for windows) and opened it with VisualStudio 2013 and then directly try to run the glsWater.cpp, I get an error saying that the program can't be launched due to the glew32.dll is not on this computer. I have tried to set the path directories in projectproperty->VC++ Directories, but without any success.

Apparently (what I have read) it should be sufficient to have the glew extension in the root directory as it is, but somehow it wont work.

Error message from Visual Studios:

'glslWater.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tothema\Desktop\assignment4_handout\win32\Release\glslWater.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'glslWater.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'glslWater.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'glslWater.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The program '[6248] glslWater.exe' has exited with code -1073741515 (0xc0000135) 'A dependent dll was not found'.

Any thoughts?^^

Update:

I fixed the problem by copying both the glew32.dll and the glut32.dll into the Release folder. I also did some different Pathing in Visual, but i think the issue is solved just by copying the files alone.

« Last Edit: 2014-10-04 10:09:50 by ada10vru »

Offline dic13ali

« Reply #29 on: 2014-10-12 17:18:50 »
Get rich while avoiding ogres, or die trying!

You play as a textureless space treasure hunter. Whilst on the hunt for some good ol' money you encounter a band of cunning ogre heads. They want you dead. Avoid the ogre heads and the borders of the window while getting rich! But be careful, more money equals more ogres.

Features:
- iCopteresque controls
- realistic gravity
- shoot some ogres
- generate head shots
- get money
- play with words...

Control:
- w to throttle
- e to shoot

Beginning of the game:

End game: